Saturday, September 18, 2010

Korean pancakes

So we went to H-mart today and 4 different people giving out food said their thing was a Korean pancake. None of them looked the same and definitely didn't taste the same either.

This begs the question, what is the definition of a Korean pancake? Is it something that is a very general term or is there something that is actually a Korean pancake but it was getting lost in the translation? Sadly I don't know anyone who can tell me what is the actual answer, and there does not seem to be the right information on-line anywhere.

In summary: a Korean Pancake can be (1) something that looks like an american pancake, (2) some ball things that were multicolored and had some filling that I can't tell what it was, (3) a stuffed pancake that had some sugar and peanut stuff inside (We bought this one and made it. I think it was actually yeast bread with filling that was fried.), (4) something that didn't look like a pancake at all and I am not sure how to describe it.

I think the common element of all these items is the fact that they all use flour that comes from a bag saying Korean Pancake. That is extremely hard to verify as I have problems telling if two worlds in Korean are the same or not, especially with the fonts on the food items. So in the end, unless someone can let me know what the  real answer is I will probably never know. I welcome anyone leaving a comment if they can shed some light on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment